Sunday, March 25, 2012

Richmond, Virginia

I'm in Virginia for a short trip to meet with people at Virginia Commonwealth University. Went for a run to check the local places to eat supper and saw these on the sidewalk.


There's bound to be a good story there.

On the way to supper stopped off at at college bar where the young lesbian bartenders were gossiping about their weekend and who they met. Some comments (totally NSFW):

"I"d like to fork her. I say fork instead of fuck because that's how tightly we would fit together."

(Holding up hand) "You know why girls like these fingers? Because they're mine."

"I so want to fuck her! I mean like dildos and strap-ons and all that shit!"

The bartender at s@mple around the corner told me, "Yeah, they talk like that all the time. It brings in all the young college boys."

s@maple is an amazing place. Here is what I had for supper working the appetizer menu:

A pint of Highland Gaelic Ale

Spicy Crab Emanadas with smoked jalepeno, queso blanco and an avocado dipping sauce.

and then . . .


Crisped glazed pork bellies (underneath) with salty black-eyed peas, sweet stewed tomatoes and a fried onion haystack, which was onion rings cooked in pork rind. I would eat this once a week if I could.

And . . .

A Martini with Catfish brand vodka from Mississippi and a charred scotch bonnet pepper.

The Scotch Bonnet is the third hottest pepper in the world. The martini was spicy, not hot and the spice of the pepper was well balanced by a little extra olive juice in the martini.

A pretty good day, for having to get out of bed at 3:30 a.m. to catch my flights.