Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Reflections on being an Election Judge

1. I'm 48 years old. I overheard one of the other elections judges say, "Let the kid do it." I wish more "young" people would be election judges - it's a two hour training and 6 hours on election day. It's not a lot of time to give up for democracy.
2. Why is it that the people who don't have ID or don't know what precinct they are in only show up in the last 20 minutes before the polls close?
3. It's great to see people come in with their little kids - every kid gets a "My vote counts!" sticker.
4. It's fun when families with kids of voting age come in together. My favorite was when the dad found out that son #2 hadn't registered -"Oooh, he can't talk to me about politics until he registers! This is going to be fun." Dad went home with a voter registration card and a smile.
5. It's nice to see the very old couples come in and vote together. They treat each other so lovingly.