Monday, November 29, 2010

Three long stories about dogs and Modafinil

Story 1: Today Nica burst a cyst on her side, chewed off all the hair around it and licked it clean.

That white part in the middle is antibiotic after taking her to the vet. I came home after lunch at 3:30 and found her happy, but with a big bare patch leaking green goo on her side.

When I took her to the vet I missed the part about, "If you want to bring her in at 4:30 p.m. before we close at 6:00 we can have an URGENT visit." Urgent mean I waited for an hour and they charged me $63 dollars JUST for the waiting part. We will be talking about that.

So we come home and before I went to bed I made sure that Nica was wearing this:


Story 2: at 10:30 p.m I went to bed. Nica spent the next hour walking around the house and bumping into things. I finally got tired of the noise and got up and gave her 10 mg of the valium she has to keep her from getting too excited from fireworks.

When digging in the Valium jar I spotted a small 1/2 of a white pill and thought, "Damn, that must be some painkiller I have left from my broken arm or sore back." so I took it. Because I wanted to sleep too. And I went back to bed.

For an hour.

Story 3: Modafinil. That's what I took. A "wakefulness promoting agent" I got some years ago for those times when I finish a days work and then have to drive from Scobey to Helena or Malta to Bozeman. I take it about once a year and keep it with the valium because, well, the valium is always in my travel med kit. Fighter pilots take modafinil to stay awake on 14 hour fighter missions. It isn't an amphetamine - there is no "rush" but it also doesn't let your mind relax, you can spot deer for 400 miles because your brain is just . . working.

So now Nica is chasing rabbits on the couch and I. well, if you are my neighbor and hear me shoveling my walk at 3 a.m. I apologize. I'm bored. I'm too old to try and use beer to go to sleep and modafinil doesn't make me want to clean the bathroom with a toothbrush, it just makes me awake.

I wish it was summer so I could walk downtown and shoot pool until 2 a.m. But it is 16 degrees outside and I'm going to be awake.

For a long time.